Now Offering Penicillin Allergy Testing
Facts About Penicillin Allergies
Type 1, Immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated
- 10% of the U.S. population reports a penicillin allergy, while less than 1% of the whole population is truly allergic.
- Many people who report a penicillin allergy do not have a true IgE-mediated reaction.
- Approximately 80% of people with a true IgE-mediated penicillin allergy lose their sensitivity after 10 years.
- Penicillins are a safe and effective antibiotic for many infections. A reported penicillin allergy prevents use of these drugs and often requires the use of alternative (broad-spectrum) antibiotics instead. This can result in higher healthcare costs, increased risk of antibiotic resistance, and less than optimal antibiotic therapy.
- By correctly identifying a true penicillin allergy, these risks decrease and overall care can improve.
Penicillin Allergy Testing
Alabama Allergy & Asthma Center now provides Penicillin Allergy testing at our Homewood location! Each appointment is about 4-6 hours and consists of a series of tests and challenges for the Penicillin Allergy.
We hope to bring this more locations in the near future!